Children's Outpatient Services

Description of service provided: 

Children present for outpatient services at DCI for a wide range of mental health concerns (e.g. ADHD, adjustment issues, depression, anxiety, etc.) Therapy with children is typically different than therapy experienced by adult clients. Younger children may engage in play therapy (e.g. playing with toys or games) or art therapy (e.g., painting or drawing) during sessions. Older children and adolescents may engage in more traditional talk therapy to address their mental health issues. When serious underlying emotional problems are determined, the child may be referred to a psychiatrist for consideration of medications to support the child with his/her recovery.

DCI has launched a school-based outpatient program in Elk County schools effective September 2008. H.O.P.E. (Helping Our Pupils Excel) will provide for ready access to mental health treatment in a school-based setting. This service will be able to reach K-12 students that may not be able to access services in a traditional outpatient setting. Parental involvement is strongly encouraged and required in some circumstances by the program.

Geographic area of service:

Elk, Cameron, and Potter counties

Admission Criteria:

Children and adolescents can be referred by a number of sources including family members, schools, primary care physicians, case managers, etc. Requests for children's outpatient services are evaluated by a mental health professional who assists in determining the appropriateness of outpatient services. The referred child needs to meet criteria for a mental health diagnosis to be able to be seen in the outpatient setting.

How to Access Service:

Interested individuals can call 814.776.2145 in Elk County, and 814.486.0554 in Cameron County to talk with a mental health professional about scheduling an intake session. The Elk County Outpatient clinics are located in Ridgway and St. Marys. For school-based services in Potter County (Coudersport) please contact 814.271.8651 for more information. For school-based services in Elk and Cameron counties, please call 814.834.9722.

Address and Hours of Operation:

Monday - Friday (Hours of operation vary on a daily basis)

How Individuals Pay for the Service:

Clients can pay for outpatient services by Medicaid, private insurance, or self pay. If a family does not have insurance coverage, a sliding fee scale can be utilized to determine payment for services based upon the family's income level.